Saturday, July 9, 2011

Lessons We Can All Learn About For Our Palate Expanders...from Blog Readers :)

Hi to My Online Friends,
I've gotten some nice and interesting comments so since last week I got a few, I wanted to answer them here and answer some of your questions since I don't have another appointment until I think next week (I forget!).
"Elyse" who is 25 years old used to have a palate expander, then braces, and she didn't wear her retainers. Here is a lesson for all of you after you have your braces (and for me too since I don't even have braces yet!), WEAR YOUR RETAINER, because Elyse had to get a palate expander AGAIN. So thank you for your comments Elyse, because you have taught all of us a very good lesson.
I also heard from "Samantha". Hi Samantha! Samantha is 9 and has braces and a palate expander. Like I said, I don't have enough teeth out to have braces yet like Samantha and Elyse. So, poor Samantha had something wrong with her palate expander where it was digging into the roof of her mouth. If you have any problems with your palate expander, it is important to get to your dentist right away so the problem can be fixed. Thank you to Samantha for reminding us about this. Palate expanders do hurt, but only because of the turning from the key. They shouldn't be poking you or making your mouth bleed or anything like that.
Samantha also said that they temporarily took her palate expander out and that the procedure hurt to take it out. When i asked my dentist about this, he said it should just pop out with the tool he has, but I haven't gotten to this step yet (next month I think!) so I will let you know and possibly video tape it if they will let me!
"Erz" wrote me as well. Hello to Erz! Erz just got the palate expander and is having difficulties talking and eating. As all of us who have had a palate expander, or are still experiencing it, we know a couple of things for sure...
#1...It hurts, my goodness, it really hurts when you turn that key. Yikes! But it gets better in time and you just kind of get used to it (see my older blogs for ideas on how to make the pain a little bit more bearable)
#2...You are not alone...there are thousands of us going through it each day and we understand what you are going through
#3...You will not talk funny forever...it gets better. By the time you get to school, Erz, you will be talking almost normal and no one should notice anything different. Besides, you will not be the only one with one on in school, you can bet on it. These palate expanders are so popular now, my mother says they are like video games, "everyone's got them!" You will speak fine soon, within a month or so...your tongue just has to get used to it being there. I don't even remember half the time that its in there!
#4...I remember my mom freaking out that all she could feed me were noodles and ice cream shakes (not that I thought that was too bad! haha) but I learned how to move the food around and now I can eat anything (but stay away from gum and chewy candy - not good for you anyway!). That took just a little while because I like to eat so I had to teach myself how to do it...see older blogs about that too :)
So, I want to say thank you to all of you for writing and to please continue comment. My mom says its become like a "palate expander family." So isn't it nice, that we are all in a family together, and not alone going through this.
Your Friend,
Colin :)


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment